Sanitation & Nutrition For a Healthier life
Voluntary Aid for Health and Development is a Community Based Organization that promotes sanitation and nutrition practices and behaviors towards healthier living through strengthening community support systems, community empowerment and policy advocacy.
Water and sanitation
VAHED strives towards reduction of an estimated 75% of the overall disease burden that derives from inadequate sanitation and hygiene attributable to 90% of all deaths in Uganda.
Nutrition and food safety
VAHED strengthens the existing community support systems on food and nutrition to deliver effectively and efficiently towards healthier lives and well-being.
Community Seed Banks
VAHED intends to strengthen community seed banks to deliver safe, affordable and locally produced seeds for safe and improved food security.
Voluntary Aid for Health and Development (VAHED) is not for profit Community Based Organization that promotes sanitation and nutrition practices and behaviors towards healthier living through strengthening community support systems, community empowerment and policy advocacy. VAHED empowers communities on optimum utilization of resources from within the surrounding environment including water for domestic use as well as crops and animal utilization towards safe and nutritious foods for home consumption and income. It also lays and strengthens foundation for human capital development for increased productivity in labour force
Our goal is to enhance capacity of local communities to utilize available resources to engage in sanitation and nutrition practices that promote healthier lives.
Our strategies are:
- Community organizing to enhance cohesion among the vulnerable for purposes of working and planning together towards coherence in approaches as well as social mobilization towards actions that cause healthier lives.
- Community-based development through strengthening community support systems
- Community-based service provision premised on existing community structures and local government systems.
Our goal is to promote policies, strategies and development of plans to advance sanitation & nutrition practices towards healthier lives.
VAHED analyses policies, and practices impacting food, nutrition, water and sanitation and engages duty bearers at local government levels to make sure that the legal framework is used as a key driver for the realization of health and livelihood rights. In particular;
- VAHED analyses laws and policies in the food chain including seed policy and practice, food production, processing, marketing and consumption.
- Does advocacy against unsafe chemicals; and chemical use in the food industry and agrochemicals in food production.
VISIT OUR OFFICES
Visit our office today and take a physical trip on how and why we do what we do.